Summer is here, and whilst we enjoy the warmer weather and the sunny skies, it’s important not to neglect your home maintenance.
When the inclement weather abates, it can be easy to forget about your gutters. With heavy winds and rains, many of us have concerns about our roofs, keeping an eye out for drips and wet patches. A hot summer can lull us into a false sense of security, and we may neglect our gutters, allowing debris to collect. One heavy summer rain and that neglect becomes visibly clear.
Stay on top of your summer gutter cleaning with our Top 5 DIY tips in this post.
And, if you’re not sure or feel uncomfortable about cleaning your gutters yourself, talk to our compassionate team, who are only too happy to help with gutter maintenance.
Is it Safe to Clean Gutters by Yourself?
Cleaning your own gutters can be safe if you take proper precautions. Make sure to use a sturdy ladder, wear appropriate shoes, and have someone with you for assistance. Also, consider using a gutter scoop or a garden trowel to remove debris and wear gloves to protect your hands. Safety first!
If you’re not sure you will be safe; perhaps you:
- Don’t have an appropriate ladder
- Have concerns for your age and abilities
- Don’t want to deal with the mess
- Don’t have someone to spot you on the ladder
- Have a fear of heights
Any of these reasons, and more, are valid, and you might instead wish to consider hiring a gutter cleaning service.
5 DIY Quick Tips for Cleaning Your Gutters
If you are going to clean your own gutters, ready for the summer, here are our top 5 DIY gutter cleaning tips:
- Safety First – prepare an appropriate ladder, bucket, gloves, etc and a helper, to spot your ladder, or ensure you’re safe.
- Clean your roof first. There’s not point in clearing your gutters if debris is left on your roof to slide into your gutters during the next rainfall. Make sure your roof is clean first, and then clean your gutters.
- Clear the gutter of large debris by scooping it into a bucket. The rain will wash away small remnants, so it doesn’t have to be perfect.
- Keep one hand on the ladder at all times to prevent you from overstretching and sending the ladder over and to prevent falling off.
- Don’t forget to check your downpipes. Debris can sneak down there, so make sure they’re clear, too.
The Fastest Way to Clean Your Gutters?
Cleaning your own gutters is possible, and is an option for some Melbournians, but it’s dangerous, time consuming and messy.
The fastest way to clean your gutters is to hire a professional gutter cleaning service to do it for you.
At PorterVac, we use professional gutter cleaning equipment to clean and remove debris from your gutters without leaving it on your property or in your green waste bins.
DIY gutter cleaning is possible, but make sure you do it safely. But, if you’re not sure, you feel unsafe, and can’t be bothered with the mess it will create, just let us do the job for you. We love it!
PorterVac’s 5-star rated (Google) service will maintain your gutters and do the hard work for you.
Reach out to PorterVac today and step into a worry-free world where gutter cleaning is no longer your concern but our commitment.
Get in touch 1300 833 399