Summer is almost here, and Melbourne takes a collective breath of relief from the cold winter and chilly spring as we brace for the heat that’s on its way. We’re lucky to live in a city that experiences the spectrum of the seasons (at least some of us feel that way). But it means the steadfast gutters of our homes become the unsung heroes, quietly guarding against the relentless siege of the elements.
Seasonal gutter cleaning isn’t just another chore on the list; it’s a critical defence for your property. A well-maintained gutter system channels the rainwater away from your home, preserving its structural integrity. Neglect it, and you invite a cascade of woes from water damage to the unwelcome cacophony of pests—all capable of doing some serious damage.
As a city that enjoys seasonal diversity, staying ahead of the curve is vital. The autumnal cascade of leaves, the wintery wrath of storms, the sprightly spring blossoms, and summery dust all conspire to clog and wear down your home’s waterworks.
So, here’s your seasonal gutter cleaning guide.
Here’s what to look out for each season:
Autumn (March – May):
Autumn brings beautiful foliage and hundreds of tonnes of dead leaves falling off our trees. Here’s what to look out for:
- Leaf Litter: The most obvious sign is the accumulation of leaves that fall during autumn, which can quickly block gutters and downpipes.
- Overflowing Water: Watch for water spilling over the gutter sides during rainfalls, indicating blockages.
- Sagging Gutters: The weight of accumulated debris can cause gutters to sag or pull away from the house.
Winter (June – August):
The leaves are mostly gone, and it’s cold – no, it’s freezing. Here’s what to look out for:
- Ice Formation: Although rare, any ice formation in the gutters can signal inadequate drainage and potential blockage issues.
- Storm Damage: After winter storms, look for broken branches or debris in the gutters, which can lead to serious blockages.
- Pests: Small animals or birds may nest in the gutters; signs of pests can be a red flag that your gutters are clogged and comfortable for habitation.
Spring (September – November):
Hooray, winter is done, but here come the rains! Here’s what to look out for:
- Blossoms and Seeds: Spring blossoms and seeds can fill gutters and downspouts, creating blockages that are not always apparent from the ground.
- Mould and Mildew: Mould or mildew around your fascia and soffit can indicate that water is not being properly channelled away from your home.
- Gutter Gardens: The sprouting of plants in your gutters is a clear sign that debris has been accumulating for too long, providing soil for seeds to take root.
Summer (December – February):
It’s time for some sunshine. Now our rooves can breathe a sigh of relief, right? Wrong. Here’s what to look out for:
- Dry Leaves and Dust: Dry leaves, twigs, and dust can accumulate, creating a fire hazard during the hot, dry months. Especially when there are bushfires around Victoria that pollution our way.
- Rust and Corrosion: Inspect for signs of rust and corrosion, which can be accelerated by the dry summer heat.
- Water Marks: Look for water marks or peeling paint under the gutters, indicating that water is seeping back onto the fascia board or siding.
How to clean your gutters
Regarding gutter cleaning, homeowners in Melbourne have several options ranging from DIY methods to professional services. Each has advantages and potential drawbacks, so choosing the method that best fits your needs, skill level, and budget is important. Here are the primary gutter cleaning options:
If you’re weighing up cleaning your own gutters vs hiring a professional, here’s our helpful post on how to choose.
Basically, it’s assessing if you want cheap, risky and messy over a professional completing the task for you and removing all debris safely.
Both are an option, so consider yours.
As summer hits, enjoying the warmer weather should be front of mind. The last thing you want is for gutter maintenance to take up your time. With PorterVac, you can entrust the safety and cleanliness of your home’s gutters to experienced professionals. Beyond cleaning, we provide a comprehensive gutter health check to ward off potential issues before they arise.
Choose peace of mind and convenience; let PorterVac tackle the high climbs and the messy job of gutter cleaning so you can enjoy your free time and Melbourne’s gorgeous changing seasons.
Reach out to PorterVac today and step into a worry-free world where gutter cleaning is no longer your concern but our commitment.
Get in touch 1300 833 399